These are not too different from Tad’s Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies but more spices and the pudding gives a different texture.
Gourmet Magazine, March 1992
1 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 unsalted butter, room temperature
1½ cups sugar
1½ cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
7 ounces vanilla instant pudding mix
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups old-fashioned oats
4½ cups all-purpose flour
24 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
3 cups chopped walnuts (I almost never put nuts in my cookies.)
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease heavy, large cookie sheets. (I always use baking parchment.)
2. In a large bowl, beat together shortening and butter until light. Gradually add white and brown sugars and beat mixture until fluffy.
3. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add pudding mix, vanilla extract, baking soda, spiced and salt, and mix until well-blended.
4. Mix in oats, then flour. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
5. Drop cookie dough by 2 tablespoon balls onto prepared cookie sheets, spacing 2 inches apart.
6. Bake until just starting to brown on the edges, about 12 minutes. (Do not overbake.)
7. Cool cookies 5 minutes on cookie sheets. Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool.
Trackback from your site.