Again, another cookie with a signature weird ingredient. When baked for 12 minutes, they were cooked but not browned. In fact, look at the pictures and it is hard to tell the raw from the cooked! They have a dense texture.
Capitol Cookies, Munch Your Way Across the U.S.A. Shari came across this little book while we were shopping at RAFT (Resource Area for Teachers.)
1 ½ cups brown sugar
½ cup shortening
2 large eggs
2 cups flour, 9 ounces
1 teaspoon soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 pound orange slice candy, diced
½ cup flour
½ cup flaked coconut
½ cup oats
½ cup nuts, chopped, optional
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Cream sugar, shortening and eggs.
3. Sift 2 cups flour, soda and salt. Blend into sugar mixture.
4. Mix orange candy and ½ cup flour. Stir into sugar mixture.
5. Stir in coconut, oats and nuts.
6. Form into 2-tablespoon balls. Place balls on parchment-lined baking sheets. Flatten with fork.
7. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
Consider adding some orange and/or coconut flavoring.
Trackback from your site.