I don’t remember where I got this recipe but it is one of our favorites. The chocolate is rich but not too dark. They are nice and sweet but the tartness of the cherries contrasts the sweetness very nicely. They have a great texture. I buy several bags of the dried cherries at Costco when they have them. They don’t spread out too much and are firm enough to survive the trip to the emergency department.
Serving Size: 60 cookies
3 cups flour, 13 1/2 ounces
1 cup cocoa, 2 3/4 ounces
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 large eggs
2 cups dried cherries, 14 ounces
2 cups chocolate chips, 14 ounces
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. (I like to do this with my fingers. It just feels good.)
3. Place sugar and butter in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at high speed until well blended.
4. Add vanilla and eggs. Beat well.
5. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture. Beat just until combined.
6. Stir in cherries and chocolate chips until just combined.
7. Place scoops of cookie dough 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets.
8. Bake for 12 minutes or just until set. Remove from oven. Cool on pans until set.