I had to make a triple batch of these to take them to the emergency department. That means that I started with 72 ounces of beer and reduced it down to 6 ounces. It took about an hour to do so and filled our house with a wonderful smell. These cookies are buttery, rich and have a very deep, interesting flavor. Other than having to reduce the beer, they are really easy to make.
Rick Griggs, Taste Catering
24 ounces chocolate porter beer
¾ cup butter, at room temperature
⅔ cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup bread flour
1 teaspoon cornstarch
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup Guittard dark chocolate chips
½ cup Guittard butterscotch chips
¼ cup salted roasted peanuts
⅔ cup mini pretzel twists, broken into pieces
24 whole mini pretzel twists, to garnish
1. In a pot over medium-high heat, cook the beer, stirring occasionally, until it has reduced to about 2 tablespoons. Depending on the size of the pot, this may take anywhere from 10 to 25 minutes. Watch very closely, as this can burn easily. Watch it at the end as it goes quickly. Cool to room temperature; reserve until ready to use. (This can be done ahead of time.)
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add butter and both types of sugar. Beat until well creamed.
3. Add the egg and egg yolk. Beat until well combined.
4. Add the cooled stout syrup and vanilla. Beat well, scraping the sides and bottom to make sure all the ingredients are well combined.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together flours, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
6. Add dry ingredients to the butter-sugar mixture. Mix on medium-low speed until just barely combined. Do not over-mix.
7. Add the chocolate and butterscotch chips, pretzel pieces and peanuts. Stir until incorporated.
8. Cover baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop 2-tablespoon balls of dough onto prepared baking sheets. Press a whole pretzel on top of each cookie. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 2 hours.
9. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes.
Trackback from your site.