Ginger Lemon Cookies
These are basically a sugar cookie with a zing from ginger. I made them with lime rather than lemon and they were very good. I might try them with more zest as they were really mostly ginger cookies when made like this. Makes me wonder what my Taku Ginger Cookies would be like with crystalized ginger pressed into the top of them.
½ pound butter at room temperature
¾ cup sugar
3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
5 drops lemon oil, optional
¼ teaspoon dried ground ginger, optional
¼ teaspoon salt
2 large egg yolks
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2½ cups unbleached all purpose flour, 11¼ ounces
¼ cup crystallized ginger, minced
¼ cup raw sugar
2 egg whites, beaten lightly
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment.
2. Beat together butter, sugar, fresh ginger, lemon zest and salt. Cream together until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Scrape down bowl. Add dried ginger, lemon oil, egg yolks and vanilla extract. Beat until combined.
4. Add the flour and mix on low speed until well blended and dough just comes together.
5. Scoop 2-tablespoon balls of the dough and set 1½ inches apart on cookie sheets.
6. Mix together raw sugar and crystallized ginger in a small bowl.
7. Press down on dough balls until flattened to about ¼ inch thick.*
8. Brush with egg whites. Sprinkle with raw sugar/ginger mixture. Pat down with fingertips to get ginger topping to stick.
9. Bake 11 to 13 minutes. Remove from oven. Let cool for five minutes before removing cookies to cool completely on wire racks.
* I used a glass, buttered on the bottom and dipped in sugar.
Trackback from your site.