This recipe was marked “vegan.” I changed oil to butter and threw in an egg. They also had to be cooked way longer than one would expect, maybe because of the water in the banana. I picked this recipe because I had one banana that I needed to use of put in the freezer for future use.
Adapted from: NYT Cooking
1 very ripe medium banana
1/3 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional, of course)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment.
2. In mixing bowl, mash banana well. Add butter, sugar, egg and vanilla. Mix well.
3. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
4. Stir in oatmeal, walnuts and chocolate chips. Mix well, making sure oats are well moistened.
5. Use cookie scoop to form into 2 tablespoon balls. Butter the bottom of a drinking glass. Dip buttered bottom into sugar. Flatten balls somewhat. Redip in sugar before each ball. Place 2 inches apart on a baking sheet.
6. Bake until lightly browned, about 18 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 2 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.